Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chapter 19~ The Castle In The Sky


We gathered our belongings and continued walking; I was slightly distracted by Jasper’s whispering on his phone. “Edward who is Jasper talking to?”

Edward looks back quickly a reassuring smile beams across his flawless face, “Stephanie, she is the keeper of the house we are going to.”

I nod realizing I am clueless but Edward is so in sync with every one of my movements and feelings, “ It’s OK Bella, she is very kind, I met her a few years back in Prague she takes care of a lot of us when we need a place to stay or in most cases hide.”

“How does she hide people so well?” 

Edward clasps my hand and secures my arm close to his chest as we walk, “She was a fairly gifted little girl who was amazing at hide and go seek,” he chuckled as if he remembered.  “But many years ago her village was attacked by my kind, women, children and men were murdered their homes burned, but what these vampires did not know is that the trilords, more specifically Aro, was observing Stephanie, he was intrigued at her ability to simply vanish in a crowd, he felt she would make an exceptional vampire, but he wanted her to age, so he rescued her from the village and watched over her until her eighteenth birthday, and then he changed her.”

“And she was just OK with that?”

He shrugs, “She knew she owed him a great deal, but she also fell in love with the idea of immortality.”

“But to become the thing that killed your family and friends?”

“ She didn’t know better Bella, and Aro took care of her, especially after his predictions were right, when she turned she had the ability to become invisible completely, and as time progressed she was able to expand on it, first it was rooms, and cars, then it was whole houses and then towns.”

I raise my eyebrows amazed by what I heard, “Wow, so where we are going is invisible?”

He smiled in amusement, “It will look like nothingness, or amazing, you see she gets to decide what you see until she raises the veil, it’s quite remarkable, and I think you will enjoy her gift.”

Jasper came up beside us, “ Alright so Stephanie said if we keep going straight about another two miles she will see us and let us through.”

We simply smile and shake our heads, I found myself filling with excitement, Edward face was a reflection of my own, I got the feeling he very much enjoyed her company which made it easy to adore this woman I had never met. 

As Jasper had told us we went the two miles and right before my eyes the landscape began to pixilate like a mixed up television screen, the pieces turned into tiny drops of water and lifted up to the sky, and before my very eyes was an amazing castle resting on the most perfectly white fluffy cloud, a laugh of excitement escaped my lips, “Oh my God”

“Almost Bella, just keep walking.”

It looked like I was just walking on the sky but it was solid, my feet kept moving I was void of fear, I imagine Jasper had something to do with the emotions since everyone was beaming. A large golden door about 50 feet high was before us, it opened slowly and a woman stood before us with the most gracious smile, refreshing after the last few days. 

“Greetings everyone, please come in.” her voice was warm and inviting, so without hesitation we entered.  The foyer was gray marble, with large pillars and gold trim; it was out of a dream. My eyes couldn’t take it all in without feeling overwhelmed. 

“You must be Bella?” I turned to her, she was still smiling, her hair was blonde cut to her shoulders, her eyes sparkled a beautiful copper color, her hands folded neatly in front of her, and she was wearing a simple black dress with remarkable black and silver shoes. I was in awe of her simplicity and grace.

“uhm yes I am Bella, I am speechless to be honest this place is amazing.” 

“You are too kind, but thank you I am glad it is to your liking.”

Edward had a large grin on his face, “It’s totally to my loving!”

“Fantastic, Aro knew you would be pleased, he has been working on this place for a very long time.”
“He was?” My smile faded slightly, he never ceased to amaze me, my heart ached at how I could never thank him for all he has done for me.

“Well was, is what’s the difference, he always finds reason to call and ask to see something and rearrange something, where is he by the way?”

I looked at Edward quickly who in turn looked at Jasper, jas stepped forward, “I didn’t think over the phone would be best.”

Zafrina rolled her eyes, “Well isn’t this just fucking perfect.” She walked down a hallway and slammed a door that went to God only knows. Stephanie was looking at us a questionable look on her face.

“What is going on?”

I stepped forward and extended my hands to her, “Why don’t we go inside and sit and we can talk about it.”

Without question or hesitation she complied, and we followed her to the living room, she had tea waiting and before another word was spoken she poured us all a cup, she sat in a red velvet chair, took a few sips, and a deep breath and waited for one of us to speak. 

I had no idea how to explain this to her but I had a feeling they were all waiting on me, so I placed my tea cup down, “ I wish I could tell you that he will be arriving later but, well Stephanie…” My words were getting all caught up in my throat and I was finding it hard to grasp the most comforting words, Edward clearly realized my struggle and stepped in.

“We were at the cabin, the twins cornered us you see, then Caius showed with an army we couldn’t take them because he had gypsies and Bella’s power is still a bit questionable, they would have demolished all of us, Aro would not let that happen, so he stayed behind in hopes that we would at least get a far enough lead to disappear from harm, at least for a time.”

Stephanie showed no emotion, her face was placid she just stared at Edward as he spoke, not even a blink, so he continued. “We got through the woods until we jumped onto a train, but Aro didn’t survive, Caius had him killed, but we were able to get far enough away that Caius did not follow.”

She remained frozen for just a moment more, then she took another sip of her tea and placed it onto the table, “I see, and you know he is dead how?”

I looked at Edward as I answered, “We heard the screams.” My eyes filled, and rested on the floor, unable to look at anyone as the words were like fire coursing through my body.

“But how do you know they were his and not the twins or the others?” Her voice was not faltering she was in complete control, or was it denial. I realized I did not have an answer; I looked up slightly to Edward who was biting his lips, his face was covered in pain, and that was when I knew he couldn’t hide from the truth that his gift made him experience Aro’s last moments. 

“Oh My god Edward,” I grabbed his hands, kissed them, “You felt it all didn’t you, and all you did was console me I am so selfish I am sorry.”

Stephanie’s voice broke through, “So it’s true then?” 

Edward just nodded,” then you will tell me how?”

He looked up at her, almost outraged by her question, “No I will not.”

She took her tea cup, again she sipped, “Later then, if you will excuse me.” She rose and walked down the corridor and disappeared right before my eyes.

“Edward, I really am so sorry.”

“Our gifts are also our curse Bella, it’s the way it will always be, it is OK, I am glad you didn’t see it or feel it.

I gently stroked his cheek and softly kissed his lips, we slinked low onto the couch, I hugged his head onto my bosom, scarlet tears flowed from my eyes, it was true, I couldn’t feel the pain or hurt Aro did as he died, but my gift or my curse could feel the anguish that was suffocating Edward. We sat nestled into each other for a long while; everyone else seemed to find a room to meander to. I didn’t know what we were waiting for but it was the first time we could all just breathe, morn, and rest.

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing writer. This story keeps getting better and better...now an invisible castle. It is wonderful. Thank you for writing this story. I am so enjoying reading it, and I am looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to visualize so much from your description of the castle. I could also feel Bella's emotion and hurt for Edward. Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie's ability sounds amazing...and how incredible to see that Aro was always thinking of Bella and how to protect her. So sweet and sad.

    ReplyDelete