Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chapter 2, My Savior



Looking up abruptly at Edward’s almost threatening statement “Excuse me?”  He rolls his eyes, “You never leave the office, ever but tonight of all nights you mosey on in here with Zafrina?” I bring the beer bottle to my lips, carefully sipping as I try to put together what Edward is saying. “Bella, it’s alright your secret is safe with me” I place the bottle down on the table and hesitantly bring my eyes to meet his. “I am afraid you have lost me, what exactly is tonight the night of?”  A rush of confusion washes over his face. “The band, the wolf pack?” Shaking my head, my thoughts getting more mixed up by the minute. “There is band playing tonight?” “Yes Bella, aren’t you dating the drummer, Zafrina’s brother Jake?”  The accusation was so overwhelming my knee hit the table spilling my drink everywhere.  “You are seriously clumsy, Bella” I immediately begin to scoop the cascading beer with my hand. “I know, I am so sorry please forgive me” Edward places his hand over mine. “Not to worry Bella, Maggie will be here in a moment to clean it up.” I shake out my hand, “Edward I am not sure where you heard I was dating anyone but it is just not the case.”

 The curtain pulls back and a red headed dimple faced waitress is standing before us. “Hey there doll faces, looks like things are getting exciting up in here” her laugh was more like a cackle. All I could do was shrug and sink into the booth, embarrassment being the dominant of my emotions. “Not at all Maggie, I few drunkards came in here and knocked over Miss. Swan’s drink, would you be an angel and get her a fresh one?”  She places the champagne down and a rag. “Sure honey, that’s no problem” She snaps her gum and disappears behind the curtain. 

“Thank you Edward but you didn’t have to lie” “It is the least I could do after assuming you were practically betrothed to Zafrina’s brother.” The way he spoke was strange, but adorable I couldn’t help but laugh. “No, it’s alright, but may I ask why you thought that?”  He pops the champagne cork with such ease, and quickly fills both flutes. “You are often engaged in conversation with him during work hours, you seem very nervous and your heart races when you see him” Watching as he slides the champagne in front of me, lost in the dancing bubbles streaming up the side of the flute.  I didn’t look up, his words repeating themselves in my head. (Your heart races when you see him)  I take in a breath, still focusing on the bubbles. “What exactly does it look like when some ones heart races?” slowly lifting my gaze, “To the human eye that is?” Edward’s facial expression was placid, as if there was nothing odd about what he said.

 Just as he was about to answer the curtain swings open. “Alright doll face here is your beer and a few napkins, just in case there are some more party crashers.” I simply nod and take the beer. “Thank you” She steps out leaving Edward to answer the question. He looks at me with a crooked smile, “When a lady squishes her toes into the carpet, twirls her hair and bites her lip unable to make much eye contact it looks a lot like sheepish flirtation” Raising my brow in surprise “Wow, you are extremely observant, I am not sure if it should freak me out that you noticed all that about me or not” I watch as he sips his champagne, so much class. There is nothing he does that doesn’t ooze perfection. He places the drink down, flashing his award winning smile. “All I am saying is if I noticed it, there are sure to be others who did as well.”  

I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks, my throat swelling and the embarrassment began to suffocate me. “It looks like I am more misunderstood than I thought”
“Oh Bella, my apologies, It was not my intention to make you feel humiliated or whatever it is you are feeling” As if my evening couldn’t get worse, the crimson curtain rushes open, Mrs. Cullen fiercely glares at me.  “What in all things un-welcome is she doing here?”  Edward stood swiftly blocking me from her attack. “My darling, Miss. Swan came to see the band, in the chaos I accidentally spilled my drink on her jacket, and I was simply replacing her beverage.” Tanya’s head peers around Edward’s shoulder. “It looks like she is refreshed to me, go on now, don’t you have a report to do?” I slide out of the booth.  “Darling, she came to hear the band; your report can wait until next week.”  Her stance is direct, she crossed her arms with a sort of authority terrifying to me but Edward doesn’t look taken in the slightest.  “Fine, watch your little boy band, I will expect that report on my desk Monday morning 9 AM no later” Edward gingerly kisses her cheek. “Fantastic, would you like some champagne darling?” I see Tanya’s arms fall to her sides, observing her jewelry, her watch alone could pay for a years’ worth of rent. “I would love some my dear husband, time to be on your way Miss. Swamp.” Looking up at Edward, his eyes flicker with an apology, I nod in understanding. “Swan, my last name is Swan, thank you Edward for the drink; hope you all have a good evening” Shifting around Tanya, she grabs my arm, “9 am a second later and you will be in the mail room with your wolf friend.”  Wriggling out of her hold on me, I rush down the stairs and out the front door.
Angrily making my way down the street toward the subway mumbling to myself, “I don’t understand what he sees in that woman” shaking my head slamming my hands into my jacket pocket, hitting my cell phone with my fingers. “Oh shit I left Zafrina” grabbing it dialing her number, it goes to voice mail. “Hey Zaf, I am heading home, this night turned out to be worse than typing up that whores report, I hope Jake’s show is amazing, see you at the apartment” Slipping the phone back in my pocket, my eyes start to linger to the sky, The full moon illuminating everything, I walk toward the bridge unable to look away from the moon for a too long. (Refreshing to see some beauty in this ugly world) I swing my legs over the edge, smiling at the sparkling water below; instinctively my legs begin to swag with the rhythm of the ripples the river makes.  My mind wanders to everything that happened just an hour ago. (Why did Edward care anything about my relationships?) Shaking my head (clearly his wife wears the pants in that relationship, typical man, tail between his legs the second that someone or something with bigger balls approaches him) clenching my teeth together getting more pissed off by the second (I should go back, tell him what an ass he is, quit this shit job, I am better than this) “Yes That is what I will do” saying it loud as if it would give me the courage I so desperately needed. 

 Shifting my body around, lifting my legs over the bridge’s wall readying to stand when a forceful gust of air pushed me back. My leg slams against the wall of the bridge, toppling me over. I grasp for something but my hands slip. My jacket catches a rod sticking off the side. I begin screaming “SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!”  I could hear my jacket begin to tear. “Oh fuck, HELLO ANYONE” carefully I reach for the rod with my other hand. Just an inch from nabbing it the rod gives way, my jacket rips completely, putting me in a free fall. My arms flail, my hands trying to reach for anything, finding only air. I slam my eyes shut waiting for the splash, taking a deep breath in. (Please let me survive this) suddenly as if my prayer was answered my body suddenly jolted, I felt something grabbing my ankle. Opening my eyes only seeing a silhouette, the moon was so bright I could only make out that the figure was a man. With ease my body lifted back to the bridge. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I felt a hand scoop my back, lifting me upright. Desperately trying to catch my breath and muster some words of appreciation, I feel the safe embrace rescind. Slowly lifting my head taking in everything I could of my savior. (Shoes expensive no doubt, dark gray pants).  Making it to his knees, when suddenly in a flash he was gone, leaving only a familiar, comforting aroma behind. Promptly I lift my head at the alluring scent; it sends a flood of certainty to my mind. The figure of my hero is long gone, but my feet mindlessly slink forward. “It can’t be, why, how?” Raising my hand to my nose I inhale the fragrance, without a doubt in my mind I knew that scent. I had smelled it before. My lips curl with happiness and curiosity. “Edward”

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Tanya is a bitch and a half isn't she?? lol Hmm...so why is Edward so interested in Bella's feelings for Jake, and why was he watching her interactions with him? Jealous maybe?? Can't wait to find out!! Great chapter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Glad you are liking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, you didn't tell me this was a vampire fic!
    Love the name of Jake's band..*giggles* and wow! Tanya is a raging bitch!! Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe Edward is married to Tanya, and she is such a bitch. I am also wondering why Edward is so interested in Bella. I didn't realize Edward was a vampire. I am so interested in the rest of this story.

    ReplyDelete