Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chapter 12 ~ Catching A Train


I couldn’t will my body to detach from Edwards embrace. The longer he ran and the further he got from Aro the heavier my heart became and the angrier I became at myself.  Why couldn’t I make my brain and body get in sync with each other and save him?  I tried to scream but there was no sound, not even a breathless cry. It was as if the darkness was trying to protect me. Forcing me from doing what the irrational insane daughter would do. I dug my fingers into Edward’s back hoping he would drop me and I would be able to run. But he didn’t slow down, or let me go. He was keeping his promise even though part of me knew it was just as hard for him to run away as it was for me.  
Suddenly the sound of crashing trees, shattering glass and painful screams jolted Edward’s head back for just a moment. I knew what it was, and who it was.  Caius wasn’t far behind us but Aro kept his promise and bought us the time we needed and he saved me, he saved all of us. Edward, Alice, Jasper, Zafrina and the rest were running again. I could hear Maggie to my left, “The train Edward, we must get on it, Caius won’t risk being seen by so many.” Our direction shifted, I could hear the sounds of the train getting louder. Edward was clearly in agreement with Maggie. He whispers into my ear, “Bella my love, we need to get onto the train, are you in control can you leap onto it by yourself?”  Still unable to form words I just nodded into his neck.  “Alright, I am going to set you down, hold my hand, don’t let go and we will jump together.” I slid to his side, gripping his hand. We reach a cliff and below us a train was just coming from behind the mountain. “Alrighty folks lets jump at the same time as to not draw attention,” Maggie sounded more like a drill sergeant then my nanny. Everyone was in a line Maggie counted off, “1, 2, and 3” We were perfectly synchronized, we barely made a noise.  Edward pulled me to his side immediately, “OK Bella we need to get into the cabin, just hold onto me and I will get you there.” I just followed in my numb state, knowing he would get me where I had to go. He was all I had, all I trusted in this shitty world.

Edward and I slipped into an empty cabin unnoticed. I was fairly certain the others found a place on the train, but I just couldn’t care. “Bella, can I get you anything?” All I did was shrug, words were still finding asylum deep inside myself. He intertwines his fingers with mine; and places his head on my shoulder. I thought he was going to start talking about how brave Aro was and how hard it was to lose him, and then go into some lecture about how time will heal all wounds. But this was Edward not your typical guy, he just began humming.  It was soft, and comforting.

I was lost in the tune, staring out the window, my mind was wandering I began remembering when I was a little girl. It was amazing how the memories were flooding back so easily now. The song Edward was humming I had heard throughout the castle many times. Aro used to sing it to me when he would push me on my swing in the garden. I shouldn’t be surprised Edward would know how the melody touched me so deeply. I gripped his hand tighter, each note reminding me of how much Aro loved me, and how he sacrificed so much for me. The arguments he would have with Caius and Marcus late at night. It would wake me and I would creep down the corridors, Aro would just tell them to talk to me, and look into my eyes, and how the love would be received just how it would be given. Caius feared it so much, and it was his fear that made his decisions. Marcus just told Aro it’s an Executive decision and cannot be challenged. That was the last night I slept at the castle.

“Bella?” I shifted my head slightly toward Edward. “We are going to meet a lot of powerful people, people who Aro trusted, but some who hated him, remember some lost whole families in that war and Aro took full blame for everything.” I smirked, “Seems like he protected me even from my own evils as well as his own.”  Edward took both my hands in his, now forcing me to look at him. “Your evils were Aro’s, because he created you, I know you don’t want to admit it Bella, but all you did was because you were made to do so.” I just shook my head, “That’s like convicting a serial killers parents because they gave birth to him.” I leaned into Edward, “Paint whatever picture you want that’s fine because I know what I am, I don’t blame Aro, I don’t blame myself either, I blame Caius and Marcus, and who chooses their fate Edward?” He places his hand on my cheek, “Something tells me you will Bella.”

A knock on our cabin door interrupts our conversation and Zafrina walks in.  “Sorry to interrupt you lovebirds, but we are headed toward Jake and the others location in a few hours, perhaps we should jump off at that destination?” I shake my head, “Jake, why do we need a band Zaf?” She just laughs “He is much more than a band Bella.” I roll my eyes, “Ok than why do we need your brother?” Now her laughter is even greater as is Edwards.  “Stop laughing at me why is either of those questions humorous?”  Zafrina sits across from me, “Alright, first off he isn’t my brother that was just a cover really, and even though he does play a mean guitar he doesn’t belong to any big band.” I just look at Edward in utter confusion. “You see Bella, Jake and his band, sort of speak call themselves the wolf pack because they are in fact wolves.” I begin scratching my head, “So is it like the movie The Truman Show, where the world is revolved around me but I am the last to know?”  Zafrina sits forward, “I am sure it feels that way and in some instances that’s probably true but Jake and his pack fought beside us in the war, he lost his sisters and brothers, he needs to know what is coming and make the choice to once again fight, or let sleeping dogs lie, in a matter of speaking.”  I look at Edward who is just gazing intensely at me, “I am not going to go Witchtastic Edward so relax.” He smiles, “Bella, I am not worried about you losing control; I am just worried about you in general.” I place my hand on his shoulder, “I am sure I don’t deserve you, but tough shit I will take you anyway.” Zafrina stands up, “So I will just come by when we are close then?”  Edward and I just nod in unison, and at some point Zafrina had left, but I didn’t notice. I found refuge in his eyes, the perfect line his lips made and his angelic alabaster skin that I wanted pressed against me right now.  “At some point Edward I am going to have to get you alone for more than a few minutes.” An almost nervous laughed escaped his mouth. “I would love nothing more than to show you once more how much I adore every inch of you Bella.” My heart beamed and my lips mirrored the pure joy I felt. “Soon than,” He leaned in and kissed me, gripping the side of my face, my heart raced, as difficult as it was I slowly pushed away. “Sorry Edward but I am not sharing this moment with anyone but you. “ He looks at me perplexed and I point to the cabin where Maggie has both hands on her hips. Edward and I just chuckle and wrap our arms around each other and wait for Zafrina.

2 comments:

  1. Things are coming along. I am glad Edward and Bella are together, and the love is there. I don't understand Bella's powers--what can she do, and why didn't she use her powers to save Aro. Great writing, great story, looking forward to the next one. Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Bella believes that it's not totally her fault. She's not to blame for what she was created to do...I just still wouldn't want to be on her bad side...EVER...lol

    ReplyDelete