Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chapter 3~ A Million Pieces


 
  I get to my apartment just as dawn breaks. Absent minded I reach for my keys in my pocket, quickly realizing my jacket is likely at the bottom of the river. “Well good thing Zafrina is predictable” getting on my tip toes, sliding my fingers along the door frame until the spare key falls to the ground.  I turn the key pushing the door open, the air stuffy, curtains drawn. “Hey Zaf, are you home?”  Shutting the door forcefully hoping the slam brings her out. (She probably met a billionaire and is on a yacht on her way to Bali) I plop my sore body on the couch, close my eyes and rest my head on the over sized cushion. I take deep breaths, the pain in my chest making it extremely difficult to get comfortable. Rubbing makes it worse, “What the hell” Slowly rising and meandering to the bathroom, flicking on the light. Carefully I remove my shirt, tossing it to the floor, focusing my attention to my reflection.  Gasping in horror at the huge bruise, “Oh my God” I walk closer to the mirror, “wait a second” Leaning in, inspecting it.  I lay my hand on the reflection of my bruise, immediately realizing the shape matches. “That wasn’t air that forced me over the bridge at all” Thinking back, recalling every second, (it wasn’t a cold night, but the force of the air was bitter) putting my robe on, I walk to the kitchen. (There is no wind strong enough to push a person over, unless I was on the top of a mountain) Filling a glass with water, (this is insanity, why would anyone want to hurt me, I am nothing special) sitting at the table drinking, the silence feeling a little terrifying.  (How was Edward there, how, did he know I was there?)  Shaking my head, (I am only getting more mixed up) 

 The jingling of keys snaps me out of my daydream; I rush to the living room entering at the same time as Zafrina. “Thank God you are home!”  Zaf looks at me strangely, “Bella?”
“Yeah, what’s wrong?” Zaf’s face was a mix of confusion, and what was that, surprise maybe?  She recovers with a quick smile, “Oh no I just thought maybe you and Mr. Cullen were getting busy”
“No, he is a married man Zaf, I would never” Unable to take my eyes off her as she is doing everything but looking at me. “Zaf, are you ok?” 

“Yeah Bells, why wouldn’t I be?” Her entire demeanor was off. “Well for one you are not even looking at me, and you are rushing all over the apartment, what the deal?”  
“Just tired Bells, don’t read into something that isn’t there” I follow her down the hall to her room. “Don’t give me that fucking bullshit Zaf” She turns glaring down at me with a fierceness that I have never seen before. “Stop now Bella, you are way out of your league here” She shoves me slightly even though it pushed me back a good two feet, and slams her door.
 
 I back away slowly, making it only half way down the hall when her door opens, she steps out with two bags in her hand. “You’re leaving, but why?”  She drops one bag, reaches into her shirt pulling out my desk key and throws it at my feet. “Zaf, I don’t understand, the last hours have been absolute chaos, and now this, what’s going on?” She smiles slightly, but there was no feeling behind it, my heart began to race as she advanced upon me. She leaned down, her face only inches from mine. “You better start understanding soon sweet child, because it is by some freak miracle you are alive right now” Her words sent a shiver down my spine. “Was it you who pushed me over the bridge last night?” 

She cocks her head to the left, her eyes explore my face for a moment “Bella, if it were me who pushed you, you wouldn’t be here right now” She walks down the hall, pausing by the front door, glancing back at me. “ Nothing and no one can save you, not even him” My body frozen, I wanted to race after her punch her , do something anything, but all I could do was stare at her, and then with a blink she was gone.

Sliding my body down the wall, my hands cover my face the fear, the night, everything rushing at me, all I could do was cry. Nothing was connecting; my life felt like it was suddenly in a million pieces.  I had known Zafrina for years, she got me the job at Cullen Corp, and when she got the cover of Denali Diva Magazine Tanya made me assistant. (Why would she do all this for me, just to tear it all away?) It was as if I was waking up from a coma, not knowing anyone or anything anymore.  My body just rocked back and forth and the only sounds that could be heard were my weeping.
Reality was slowly coming back, using the wall I pull myself up, gingerly walking to the bedroom and sitting on my bed.  Reaching for the phone, I dial the office.  The recording picks up. “ You reached Cullen Corporation, the office is currently closed, if you know your party’s extension dial it now to be sent to their voice mail, or press 0 for the directory “ ( zero it is) “ Please enter the first three letters of the person first name now” ( E- D-W ) “ If you wish to be directed to Edward Cullen’s Voice mail press one now, otherwise press two for more options” ( 1) The recording of his voice, amazingly fills me with comfort, “ You reached Edward Cullen, I am away from the office, please leave me a message and I will return your call promptly, thank you “  I wasn’t sure what exactly to say when the beep came, but from what Zafrina was saying, now was not the time to be shy. “ Edward, its Bella, you need to meet me or I am going to the police, whatever little plan you all have going on it’s about to be exposed, meet me at the bridge at noon” Hanging up the phone, knowing I had no idea what the hell I was saying. I was just holding on to the hope that he would have the answers I so desperately needed.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh this is getting very interesting!!!! I'm so intrigued by this story!! Like, what is going on with everyone?!?! Craziness!! Love it!!! Great chapter bb!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank you hun so glad you are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is very interesting. I was surprised when Edward turned out to be a vampire. What is up with Zafrina? I thought she was Bella's friend, and Tanya is a total bitch. Looking forward to reading the next chapters. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wtf?!?! I thought Zafrina was her friend. If she knows what's going on or why someone would want to hurt Bella, why wouldn't she tell her?? Must be a jealous Tanya maybe?? Edward better take care of things. Quick!! ;)

    ReplyDelete